Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

sterilization stickers or batch number?

Discussion in 'Australia' started by JAYNES, Oct 29, 2014.

1. JAYNES

JAYNES Active Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    I am just in process of going from paper notes to electronic notes,wanting to know what other pods are doing that are paperless do you just put in batch number of sterilized instruments or do you still keep stickers?

Looking forward to any info
    Thanks
    Jaynes

2. Tkemp

Tkemp Active Member

I record the batch number and the date of sterilisation.

I also keep a seperate electronic record of all sterilisation cycles -imported directly from the autoclave- for reference.

Hope that helps.
    Tracy

3. JAYNES

JAYNES Active Member

Thank you Tracy that is great help as i was advised to record batch number when doing electronic notes good know I'm doing the right thing.

Jaynes

4. Paul Bowles

Paul Bowles Well-Known Member

Although the batch number, stickers and up to date instrument log book are essential - you also have to records the individual instrument number and log this against the patient file when used. This then correlates back to the instrument log book where that individual number and hence the individual instrument can be tracked and verified as to when it was sterilized, the cycle number, time, date, verification - against when it was used, and on what patient for what purpose.

If you are in Australia your state should have public health guidelines which are a good start. NSW health guidelines has a good one sheet on this which can be found:

http://www.health.nsw.gov.au/environment/factsheets/Pages/how-to-sterilise-instruments.aspx

We use electronic records in our clinic and within each patients notes at time of consultation each each instrument number and batch is logged and recorded. I could not imagine a worse possible day at work than a patient pointing the finger at a clinic for "catching" a communicable disease and the clinic not having the adequate documentation to back themselves up.

5. JAYNES

JAYNES Active Member

Thank you for your help Paul

6. Trudi

Trudi Member

Hi Jaynes
    I found it easy when converting to still use the stickers and then in my electronic notes I have created a small box titled "Sterilised...Date, Batch", so I remember to put the details in.
    However, if I a don't do the patients notes immediately I just have a piece of paper on my desk that I stick the Meditrac Sticker on and put the patient's name beside it. So I get the right sticker details with the correct patient.
    good luck on the conversion.
    Trudi

7. surfboy

surfboy Active Member

No, Lyn Lochead clearly told us in the sterilisation course that we don't have to record the INDIVIDUAL instruments, that the batch number by itself is sufficient.

8. Paul Bowles

Paul Bowles Well-Known Member

The old argument is you can NEVER be too careful - being too careful never hurt anybody. Maybe you can produce your notes from Lyns course if you ever get litigated for this. I'm sure the HCCC or Board will take these into consideration.....probably not - considering several notable cases recently where the clinicians notes themselves weren't accepted nor photos as evidence i'd be on the side of too much information than the side of not enough.

9. Bug

Bug Well-Known Member

The Australian Standard AS 4187 only advises that the batch number and a record of contents for each load be recorded. There is no need for individual instrument recording if the whole load has passed.

Within a patient file then, the date and batch number must be recorded for every every set of instruments used..

10. Trudi

Trudi Member

Furthermore to make life easy...

I have a code in the front of my recording book that I have used for the last several years
    A - Full set
    B - Beaver, Blacks File and Scalpel handle
    C- Beaver and scalpel handle
    D - scissors
    Etc
    Etc
    Etc
    So I only need record 7 x A, 2 x B, 1 x G
    Then if I have something unusual in the batch , the I write it out in full e.g. dressings for PNA or canister.
    Happy Sterilising