Home Forums Marketplace Table of Contents Events Member List Site Map Register Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums, for communication between foot health professionals about podiatry and related topics.

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members (PM), upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, earn CPD points and access many other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisments in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Tags:

Extensor digitorum brevis injury

Submit Thread >  Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Google Submit to Yahoo! This Submit to Technorati Submit to StumbleUpon Submit to Spurl Submit to Netscape  < Submit Thread

Old 12th August 2008, 08:06 PM

About:
Marketplace reputation 0% (0)
Default Extensor digitorum brevis injury

Podiatry Arena members do not see these ads
Gday all,
just have a quick question as to whether anyone has seen or experienced a tear or injury to the EDB? I have just seen a patient who presented with pain in and around the 1st/2nd/3rd MPJ's following a wayward kick during a kickboxing session. There was pain when the EDB muscle belly was palpated, and she has severe prob's extending her digits, whilst the other foot is fine (she said she was able to do this prior to the injury however). I know I havent given any other biomech details, but was more interested into anyones experiences with this sort of problem.
Thanks for your help
Paul
Old 12th August 2008, 08:26 PM
Podiatry Arena Veteran

About:
Default Re: extensor digitorum brevis injury

G'Day Paul,

I have a pateint who has HSMN type 1 (peroneal atrophy), who sustained what I believe to be a chronic EDB injury due to an inversion ankle sprain and falling on the area. I'm having some success with inverting the foot, extending the digits and massaging the muscle belly with topical NSAIDs on a daily basis to break down adhesions and inflammatory mediators in the soft tissues. Hurts like *** when we start, but after 5 minutes of massage she feels much better and much looser through the area. Also might be worth trying a lateral forefoot wedge to dorsiflex the lateral forefoot, the idea being that extend the digits whilst reduecing the pull of the EDB and making teh EDL work more (through forefoot dorsiflexion on the mid/rearfoot).
Worth a shot??

Cheers!

You know.. we could just cut it off.....?
Old 12th August 2008, 08:40 PM

About:
Default Re: extensor digitorum brevis injury

Thanks Adrian, might give that a try. She is pretty comfortable with the pain levels at the moment, and its not affecting her day2day life as such, but no pain is better than some pain hey.
Thanks again
Paul
Old 12th August 2008, 09:54 PM
Administrator

About:
Default Re: Extensor digitorum brevis injury

Related:
Extensor digitorum brevis strain?
Extensor digitorum brevis. ganglion????